You must be at least 16 to obtain a learner licence and at least 17 to have a P1 licence. You must also be at least 18 to have a P2 licence and 20 to get your full licence.
You will need to pay for your tests and for your licence card. If you have any more inquiries about the cost you can visit the RMS website or your nearest RMS (formerly known as RTA).
To pass the test you should read the appropriate handbook which you can purchase from a registry or service centre. You can also download them from the Roads & Maritime website. Another way to study for your tests is to use the online demonstration DKT or the HPT and DQT practice activities as a way of preparing for the test.
Yes you can. It is not mandatory for any driver to progress to a full licence.
The legal limit for all L and P licence holders is zero. This basically means you cannot drink alcohol before driving.
L and P signs must be clearly displayed on the front and back of the exterior of the vehicle. The letters ā€œLā€ and ā€œPā€ cannot be hidden. The signs can be placed against the exterior windscreen but they must not obstruct your vision whilst driving. You are no longer allowed to display these signs from inside of your vehicle.
All mobile phone use is banned for L and P1 licence holders. This includes hands-free kits, Bluetooth accessories and loudspeaker functions.